Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Send a Book Card






Type of Challenge
Random Acts of Kindness

Challenge

Who doesn't love receiving a special card, and who doesn't love a good book? Today's challenge is to write a book card to at least one person. Simply grab a book of your choice and add a special note to someone. The note could be a special keepsake for the person you choose. 


Image result for happy dreamer

Reflection
Recently 15 of our teachers and myself went to Get Your Teach (GYTO) on in San Antonio. I knew it was going to be a great conference, but I didn't truly realize the impact it was going to make, not only on my teachers, but for myself as well. The teachers left the conference reenergized and ready to tackle the new school year. I was excited to see my teachers so pumped up!

As an administrator I was looking at the conference from a different lens. The presenters at the GYTO conference weren't just teachers but they were leaders. They were genuine, humble, kind, and had a true heart for helping teachers.

As I created the book card Kindness180 challenge I knew  I wanted to send the books to the presenters of the GYTO conference. I wanted to tell them thank you for putting on a conference like no other, and for truly having a heart for helping other teachers.

I purchased books from one of my favorite authors, Peter Reynolds, and wrote a thank you inside of each book. I then sent it through media mail, which I had never heard of before. Media mail is just a cheaper way to send books, but it takes a little longer for the recipient to receive it. To be honest, I was a bit of a skeptic when I was told about it, because I have some trust issues with USPS, but that's a story for another time. The USPS pulled through and the presenters from GYTO received their books!

Once my teachers get back from summer vacation (which is next week!) I am going to start leaving book cards in their boxes. We have a staff of 65 so I am looking for a way to purchase books that are a bit cheaper. I have stocked up on the Khols Cares books, which are only $5 each. I also plan on hitting up the Scholastic Book warehouse sale in December and May.

What are some of your favorite books you would like to send as a book card? Comment Below!







No comments