Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Know Their Name



A student walks into your classroom for the first time, what do you do? You ask them their name.

Why? We know that this is the first step in building a relationship with this student. When we learn their name it is a sign  of respect and shows that we are interested in who they are.

When I was a classroom teacher I would learn all 120 of my students names on the first day of school. I spent all day playing games and doing different activities so I could learn their names.  I knew I couldn't begin to build relationships with my students if I didn't even know their names.

Now that I am an administrator I have not just 120 students names to learn, but over 500! I used to make excuses and thought there was no way I could learn 500 names! However, as I enter my 3rd year as an assistant principal, there are 3rd graders I have known since they were in 1st grade and I still don't know all of their names. I am embarrassed to even admit that. They have been on my campus everyday for the last 2 years! There is no excuse!

I finally decided that it was time to stop making excuses. I say I am all about building student relationships, but how can I do that if I can't even call each student by their name?

Starting tomorrow (Aug 23) I am going to eat lunch with one class a day. During that time I will learn each of the student's names and something that is unique about each student. We have 26 classes and it will take me a little over 5 weeks to learn all 500 names. I am determined to do this and I know it will only build stronger relationships with my students and parents.

School leaders I hope you will join me!

No comments